OmniFocus for Mac is now free at Omni’s website till end of January, right when the OmniFocus 2 will debut. This is extracted from the recent post on the Omni Blog,
“I also want to make sure everyone understands that the OmniFocus 2 debut on January 31st is not when OmniFocus 2 will be shipping! That’s just the first time the app will be shown in public. Following the debut, we’re planning a limited private test period (which you can sign up for), followed by a wide open public test—and then (finally!) when we’ve evaluated everyone’s testing feedback and think it’s ready, we’ll ship the app. If this sounds like it might take a while… yes, it probably will!
So, if you’re looking to purchase OmniFocus today, what should you do? Should you wait for OmniFocus 2?
Well, first of all, there’s no reason to wait on purchasing the iPad and iPhone apps—as I’ve noted above, they’re not the editions which are getting a major upgrade this year.
But if you’re looking at purchasing the Mac app, it would be quite reasonable to wait until after the OmniFocus 2 debut so you know what’s coming before you make a decision. To make that wait easier for everyone, we’ve decided to post a temporary license key so you can all use the app between now and then without having to make a purchase:
License Owner: Waiting for OmniFocus 2 License Key: KXKN-ZJDB-EJCX-LZHW-CFBF-QFC
(Just copy and paste both the License Owner and License Key into the appropriate fields.)
I hope you’re all looking forward to OmniFocus 2 as much as I am! And that this temporary license key makes the wait a little easier.”
Source – Omni
Evernote 5 for Mac is a complete overhaul of the application itself and there is over 100 new features (no kidding) implemented in this upgrade. It features a brand new sidebar, a better notes list with snippet and cards view, a grid view listing notebooks for better notebook management, integration with atlas and maps, a more powerful search engine and integration with Mountain Lion notifications.
The beta will be launched this week, 29 October 2012, check out the following video for some of the hot features. For full features listing, hop over to Evernote’s What’s New Page, link here.
Source – Evernote
Mayday – An Apple Genius shows a fellow passenger how easy it is to make great home movies with iMovie. All before the tray tables are returned to their upright position.
Basically – An Apple Genius points out there are a lot of things that separate a Mac from an ordinary computer, like great apps that come built in.
Labor Day – An Apple Genius shows a soon-to-be father all the amazing things he can make with iPhoto.
Source – Apple
Always wanted to get a decent writing tool for my mac and Scrivener (US$44.99) been on my shopping radar for quite some time. Tonight as I was writing up my blog post for CNET Asia, this urge came back and I googled it to see if there’s any discount code out there. Thank God I found a 20% off coupon off S. M. Worth’s site. So, if you’re like me, in for a really nice writing app, check out Scrivener.
Source – Literature and Latte
Is your Mac running a bit slow these days, or maybe clouded with tons of junk files, caches and useless log files…well, for a limited time, the great mac app, CleanGenius Pro is free on the Mac App Store.
EaseUS CleanGenius Pro is a system cleanup utility to clean up junk files, monitor disk space, quickly access and eject volumes, making your MacOS run faster and perform better. It covers all the features of CleanGenius Free and provides more: ejecting all mounted drives by one-click, set customized disk space value to raise alarm and Reveal in Finder to show the item. This professional Mac cleaner helps users to perfect Mac in all directions.
New Features in CleanGenius Pro 2.0:
- Uninstaller to completely remove the unwanted applications.
- New and Intuitive interface.
- Reveal in Finder to show the found item in Finder.
Source – EaseUS
SNAPHEAL is amazing, first-of-its-kind photo application that lets you perform professional image enhancements in minutes, doesn’t require any special knowledge and comes with the rocking price.
“Snapheal Performs Complex Photo Touch Ups and Object Removals in Two Clicks” – lifehacker.com
Here is what you can do:
- Remove unwanted objects from the image
- Make skin imperfections vanish
- Erase unwanted text (watermarks, etc)
- Dramatically enhance photos with clone & stamp tool
- Lighten dark areas
- Sharpen images
- Add blur
- Adjust saturation, gamma, light levels, shadows and much more
iA Writer (US$17.99 for MAC, US$4.99 for iPad) is an awesome writing tool, no fancy stuff, no formatting to deal with, no clustered UI or what the developers states, no preferences; just plain full screen tying or enter the focus mode. The focus mode, according to the developers, does not only limit the field of view to one sentence at a time but it also makes sure that the eyes do not need to wander too much around the window while writing. The focus mode allows one to think, spell and write at one sentence at a time and that lowers the temptation for one to cross edit and keeps all in the flow.
The only bummer is that there’s no trial for it. How good is it? judge it yourself from the video.
Source – Oliver Reichenstein from iA
Amazon’s Mac Software Downloads Store is open for business. Not too many titles for the time being but you can find certain items that are not available in the Mac App Store such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Elements and Premiere. From now till 1 June, 2011, you get a US$5 discount off a single purchase. Coupon code is SAVE5MAC. Keep checking back the Amazon for I truly believe that they will aggressively add more titles in the upcoming weeks.
For those who loves shooting and sharing their pictures using Instagram on their iPhone, don’t you just wish that you can view your feeds on your Mac. Well, the guys over at Mobelux have come up with an Instagram client for the Mac, the Carousel.
The app is not on the App Store yet but for now, you can buy it for half the introductory price of US$4.99 on their website. The app features allows one to
view their Feed, Popular and Profile photos with a choice of app themes;
follow and explore users, like, comment, moderate comments, and more;
use keyboard shortcuts to quickly traverse your feed, like, comment, and more; and
drag & drop to save full-size photos to your Mac, or iPhoto.
Check it out now, with all the hype with the Instagram app, this is must-have extension to it. The interface is slick and simple. Highly recommend.
There are no doubt a handful of apps that can help you transfer pics from your iOS devices (iPad/iPhone/iPod) to your Mac, such as WiFi photo, Pic Transfer, Transfer, Photoshare, Simple Transfer and the list goes on and on. Some uses Bluetooth, WiFi or both but the most reliable way especially if you are transferring a lot of files is definitely via WiFi.
One great app I tried out and am sticking with is the Pics Assistant for Mac (Free via App Store) and “Pics” for iOS devices (iPad/iPhone/iPod) (US$1.99) from Phyar Studio. The transfer is fast and it imports not only pictures but HD videos as well without losing any quality. The “Pics” app for iOS devices act as a standalone photo album as well, a easy notch or two better than the native photo album. The animated 3D interface is neat and resembles that of the Windows Mobile 7. Check out the 3D interface in the video below.
- View your photos in full resolution, no compressing, no quality losing.(*)
- Very fast import photos and videos from camera roll, start organize your thousands of photos from now on!
- Import HD videos without any quality losing.
- View your photos in camera roll directly, it’s also treat as an album in App.
- Add, delete, order albums, edit album name and properties. Move, delete photos and videos.
- 4 Desktops. Organize your albums into different desktop, and you can lock the desktop instead of lock albums.
- WiFi downloading and uploading, access photos and videos in all albums including camera roll.
- Accept ZIP packet for uploading, you can upload hundreds of photos by one click! Progress indicator displayed on your device while uploading.
- Synchronously display in web browser, all your changes made on your device would update to web browser automatically.
- Photos and Videos filter inside the App and also provide for web browser, find videos much easier.
- Passcode protection for locked albums and admin operations.
- Native iPad support, now Pics is a universal App.
- P2P Transfer. Transfer photos/videos to another iPhone/iPod touch/iPad with WiFi or Bluetooth connection.
- AlbumSync with p2p transfer. Compare albums on two different devices and send photos not exist in remote album by one tap. if album not exist, Pics would create a new album on remote device to receive all photos. Your AlbumStyle settings would also be applied to remote album.
- Complete retina display support…. and more.
For those who doesn’t want to spend money on any apps, there’s a free native solution which is direct importing to iPhoto upon connecting the USB cable to the iOS device (from eHow).
Procedures as follows –
- Launch the iPhoto application on your Mac computer.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using an iPhone USB cable.
- Highlight the name of your iPhone from the “Devices” list on the left side of the iPhoto window. You will now see thumbnails for the images stored on your iPhone.
- Click on the “Import All” button to transfer all of your iPhone pictures in your iPhoto library, or highlight specific images and click “Import Selected.”
- Wait for iPhoto to finish importing the pictures from your iPhone and then choose whether you want to delete the images on the phone.
- Click on the eject symbol next to the name of your iPhone, and then disconnect it from the computer.
For those who write quite often, no matter whether you’re a student, housewife, screenwriter, poet or author, a good writing tool is definitely something that you should not overlook.
Be it a school essay, a thesis paper, a poem, a report, a script, a book or as minute as a household recipe, this application Scrivener just might be the perfect tool.
According to Scrivener, “Scrivener puts everything you need for structuring, writing and editing long documents at your fingertips. On the left of the window, the “binder” allows you to navigate between the different parts of your manuscript, your notes, and research materials, with ease. Break your text into pieces as small or large as you want – so you can forget wrestling with one long document. Restructuring your draft is as simple as drag and drop. Select a single document to edit a section of your manuscript in isolation, or use “Scrivenings” mode to work on multiple sections as though they were one: Scrivener makes it easy to switch between focussing on the details and stepping back to get a wider view of your composition.
If you own an iPad and want to get an Apple Magic Trackpad, I will tell you to save that US$69 as M3ME just released the awesome app, Remote Conductor (US$9.99), that turns your iPad into something more of a magical trackpad.
So how does it work? According to M3ME, your iPad communicates with your Mac over Wi-Fi with a free server program called Conductor Server and the program can be installed on as many Macs you like. Once connected, you can use the Remote Conductor app as a trackpad in its track mode; an app switcher in its switcher mode; and an app launcher for all your apps on the Mac.
I tried this app out and found the following awesome features:
- the track mode features more multi-touch gestures than the Apple Trackpad;
- in the track mode, the app can even call up Expose, Spaces and the Dashboard;
- in the switch mode, all open apps are displayed in a mini window views and you can switch between open apps easily and even in Spaces; and
- my favourite lies with the launch mode where all apps installed (usually found in your Applications folder) are displayed in the native iPad pages view where you can flip through them the way you flip through iPad app pages andyour dock is pinned in the bottom part of the iPad screen.
These are all just some of the cool features of Remote Conductor, to have a taste of what’s it like, take a look at the following video.
Trust me, this is definitely the app for the year and it’s only first week of January.
Source – M3ME
Read this over at Mac Rumors,
“ZDNet reports that it has received information from tipsters claiming that Apple will release new Mac Pro models next Tuesday, adding a hexacore Core i7-based model to its lineup.
I’m getting tips in from sources who claim that Apple is set to revamp its high-end Mac Pro line, adding a ‘hexacore’ Core i7-980x model to the line up.
All information points to this happening next Tuesday, March 16th.”
Hop on over to check it out, I for one am fairly excited and think the new MacBook Pro line is long due.
Source – Mac Rumors