WHO IS JOSEPH KONY?
JOSEPH KONY IS THE WORLD’S WORST WAR CRIMINAL. IN 1987 HE TOOK OVER LEADERSHIP OF AN EXISTING REBEL GROUP AND RENAMED IT THE LORD’S RESISTANCE ARMY (LRA).
THE LRA HAS EARNED A REPUTATION FOR ITS CRUEL AND BRUTAL TACTICS. WHEN JOSEPH KONY FOUND HIMSELF RUNNING OUT OF FIGHTERS, HE STARTED ABDUCTING CHILDREN TO BE SOLDIERS IN HIS ARMY OR “WIVES” FOR HIS OFFICERS. THE LRA IS ENCOURAGED TO RAPE, MUTILATE, AND KILL CIVILIANS–OFTEN WITH BLUNT WEAPONS.
THE LRA IS NO LONGER ACTIVE IN NORTHERN UGANDA (WHERE IT ORIGINATED) BUT IT CONTINUES ITS CAMPAIGN OF VIOLENCE IN DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO, CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC, AND SOUTH SUDAN. IN ITS 26-YEAR HISTORY, THE LRA HAS ABDUCTED MORE THAN 30,000 CHILDREN AND DISPLACED AT LEAST 2.1 MILLION PEOPLE.
WHAT IS THE GOAL OF KONY 2012?
INVISIBLE CHILDREN HAS BEEN WORKING FOR 9 YEARS TO END AFRICA’S LONGEST-RUNNING ARMED CONFLICT. U.S. MILITARY ADVISERS ARE CURRENTLY DEPLOYED IN CENTRAL AFRICA ON A “TIME-LIMITED” MISSION TO STOP KONY AND DISARM THE LRA. IF KONY ISN’T CAPTURED THIS YEAR, THE WINDOW WILL BE GONE.
WE ARE TAKING ACTION TO ENSURE THESE TWO THINGS:
1) THAT JOSEPH KONY IS KNOWN AS THE WORLD’S WORST WAR CRIMINAL.
2) THAT THE U.S. MILITARY ADVISERS SUPPORT THE UGANDAN ARMY UNTIL KONY HAS BEEN CAPTURED AND THE LRA HAS BEEN COMPLETELY DISARMED. THEY NEED TO FOLLOW THROUGH ALL THE WAY AND FINISH WHAT THEY HAVE STARTED.
WHY ARE WE MAKING JOSEPH KONY “FAMOUS”?
INVISIBLE CHILDREN’S KONY 2012 CAMPAIGN AIMS TO MAKE JOSEPH KONY FAMOUS, NOT TO CELEBRATE HIM, BUT TO RAISE SUPPORT FOR HIS ARREST AND SET A PRECEDENT FOR INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE. IN THIS CASE, NOTORIETY TRANSLATES TO PUBLIC SUPPORT. IF PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THE CRIMES THAT KONY HAS BEEN COMMITTING FOR 26 YEARS, THEY WILL UNITE TO STOP HIM.
SECONDLY, WE WANT KONY TO BE FAMOUS SO THAT WHEN HE IS STOPPED, HE WILL BE A VISIBLE, CONCRETE EXAMPLE OF INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE. THEN OTHER WAR CRIMINALS WILL KNOW THAT THEIR MASS ATROCITIES WILL NOT GO UNNOTICED OR UNPUNISHED.
Source – KONY2012
March 10, 2012 Posted by hongkongphooey | Blogroll, Event, News Related, Social Networking, Video | democratic republic of congo, Joseph Kony, kony2012, mass atrocities, News, Politics, Video, YouTube | Leave a comment
This from DPReview, “The Kuwait government has banned the use of DSLRs cameras in public, according to a local media reports. The English-language Kuwait Times says the country’s Ministry of Information, Ministry of Social Affairs and Ministry of Finance have ruled photography with DSLRs should be used only by accredited journalists. There is currently no official confirmation of the decision, why it has been introduced or detail about how precise a definition of the term ‘DSLR’ will be applied.”
Click here for the article on Kuwait Times.
Now this is a real bummer especially when DSLR and mobile phones are becoming such a big thing in the gadget industry. Can’t imagine a country like Kuwait would come up with something like this.
Source – DPReview
Six days after the Manila hostage crisis.
Eight Hong Kong residents died in the incident.
Six days later, 80,000 Hong Kong people took it to the streets demanding answers from the Philippine Government.
As a tech blogger who’s been brought up watching movies like “SWAT” and “Speed”, one has to wonder why the Philippine SWAT team was not deployed and why the Manila Police Department was so ill-equipped.
Explosive charges or frame charges could be used to smash the windows, sub-machine guns like MP5s should be used in close quarter combat instead of pistols and assault rifles. Any jamming device that can knock out the TV live broadcast of the events on the bus would help….and the list goes on and on. We are not talking about rocket science here but any police force in a metropolitan city should at least have the right equipment and the right training to serve and protect.
Shame, real shame.
Should any police force or SWAT team need more info, they can start searching on YouTube cause YouTube has it all.
According to Gizmodo, the following is the rumored disappointing specs of the Canon G11, gee, who needs that swivel LCD screen, gimme some meat, LOL -
Effective: 10.4MP[downgrade?], Recorded: 10.0MP
RAW, JPEG, QuickTime
6.1-30.5mm f/2.8-4.5 (35mm film equivalent: 28-140mm)
Optical: 5x, Digital: 5x
Normal: 1.6″ (50cm) – infinity
Macro: 0.4? (1cm) – 1.6″ (50cm)
Integrated Mount for the LA-DC58K Lens Adapter
Evaluative, Center Weighted, Spot
Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Flash, Underwater, Custom 1, Custom 2
Effective Flash Range: 1.6″ (50cm) – 23? (7m)
Still Images per GB: RAW: 67
JPEG: High Res: 374 – Low Res: 7,684
Video: 640 x 480 @ 30fps, 320 x 240 @ 30fps [no 720p?]
Viewfinder Coverage: 77%
2.8? LCD Vari-Angle
USB 2.0, Dedicated A/V Out, mini-HDMI (Type C)
Windows XP, Vista
Mac OS X (10.4 or later)
12.5 oz (355g)
NB-7L Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery
Source – Gizmodo
Source – Ming Pao Daily
NEWPORT, R.I. (AP)—Michael Chang finds it appropriate he’s receiving his sport’s highest honor as China awaits the Olympics.
Chang was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame on Saturday and reflected on his experiences as a Chinese-American athlete. He won the 1989 French Open at age 17—the youngest man to win a major—as the Tiananmen Square protests in Beijing were escalating into bloodshed.
“For me, at the French Open, if I wasn’t playing my match I was glued to CNN watching the events unfold,” Chang said during a news conference before his induction. “The crackdown actually happened that Sunday of the French Open.”
Full link to article here.
Source – AP via Yahoo! Sports
Pic from CrunchGear
Source – CrunchGear
Sydney Pollack helped make a sex symbol of Robert Redford, an Oscar-caliber star of Jane Fonda and a woman of Dustin Hoffman.
Pollack, the quintessential actor’s director of Tootsie, The Way We Were and more, who seemed most comfortable in the company of Hollywood’s biggest stars, and vice versa, died tonight of cancer at his Los Angeles home.
The filmmaker, a two-time Oscar-winner, was 73.
“Sydney made the world a little better, movies a little better and even dinner a little better,” George Clooney said in a statement. “A tip of the hat to a class act. He’ll be missed terribly.”
Extracted from E! Online, for full article, click here.
2008-05-19 HKT 00:15
China has announced three days of national mourning for an estimated 50,000 people who died in Monday’s earthquake in Sichuan – the magnitude of which has now been revised to eight on the Richter scale. The Olympic torch relay will be suspended during that time. And there will be three minutes of silence this afternoon. The arrangements will also be implemented in Hong Kong. The confirmed death toll has risen to more than 32-thousand, with more than 220-thousand injured.
SOurce – RTHK News
Pic from Associated Press
BEIJING (Reuters) – The most devastating earthquake to hit China in three decades has killed up to 5,000 people and left as many as 10,000 injured, toppling eight schools and at least one hospital, state media said.
An estimated 3,000 to 5,000 people were killed in Beichuan Qiang Autonomous County in mountainous Xinhua news agency said, citing the local government.after the 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit the region during the early afternoon on Monday,
As many as 10,000 in Beichuan were feared injured and 80 percent of the buildings there had been destroyed, the report said.
Beichuan’s population is 161,000, meaning about one in 10 residents were killed or injured in the quake. The county is a part of Mianyang city, and about 160 km (100 miles) from the provincial capital, Chengdu.
Hundreds of people were buried under rubble in Shifang in Sichuan as several schools, factories and dormitories collapsed during the quake, the official Xinhua news agency said.
The death toll was expected to rise sharply as authorities and rescue teams made contact with the worst-hit areas of Sichuan, where phone lines have been cut off since the quake struck.
The quake is the worst to hit China in 32 years since the 1976 Tangshan earthquake in northeastern China where up to 300,000 died.
Monday’s quake hit in the middle of the school day, toppling at least eight schools, leaving hundreds of students and teachers trapped, state media said.
About 900 teenagers were buried in the rubble of a collapsed three-storey school building in the Sichuan city of.
Local villagers had already helped dozens of students out of the ruins and five cranes were excavating at the site as anxious parents looked on, Xinhua said.
Link to full article here.
Source – Reuters via Yahoo! News
BEIJING (Reuters) – An incensed Chinese couple, videotaped hugging and kissing on a subway platform, plan to sue the subway’s operator after the video was uploaded toand other Web sites, attracting thousands of hits.
The three-minute video of the couple in their 20s was shot in September and uploaded to Youtube and Chinese video-sharing Web sites last week, Tuesday’s China Daily reported, citing a local newspaper.
It drew more than 15,000 hits in two days, it said.
“A mocking voice can be heard in the background of the video. It has extremely embarrassed the couple,” the paper said.
The couple had hired a lawyer in the interests “of all passengers traveling on metro trains in,” the paper quoted the unnamed man in the video as saying.
Click here for full article.
- Singing condoms?
- How to Install Windows XP on the HP 2133 Mini-Note
- Test Pics from SONY 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM
- SONY 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM is in DA House
- Boot Speed Test - Fujitsu U1010 HDD vs SSD
- Unboxing - Philips SHB7100 Bluetooth Stereo Headset
- Review - Godfather II (the game) - Don't Bother
- My Gears - Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick Head and 685B Neotec Monopod
- My Gears - Nikon Porter Bag for My Panasonic Lumix LX3 & Canon Powershot G10
- Mod of the Day - Ming's Girl - From Hong Kong's Best Tattoo Temple
- 1,895,360 hits on me
Count Your Days
April 2014 M T W T F S S « Jan 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- March 2007
- February 2007
- January 2007
- December 2006
- November 2006
- October 2006
Badges – Misc
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.
My Twitter Info
- Lunch break finally..... (@ SM City Clark w/ 4 others) 4sq.com/PeCJc3... 18 hours ago
- Photo “Smokey Mountain Episode 1” by Victor Cheung (@HKPhooey) #500px 500px.com/photo/67321449…... 2 days ago
- I received a peer recognition @Viewbug viewbug.com/photo/17242931 #photocontest... 2 days ago
- Just checked in hotel, deep in the province nearby Angeles City, getting ready for tomorrow's early shoot on the c... 4sq.com/1kDo1rj... 2 days ago
- Commencing our shoot at Smokey Mountain, heartbreak.. (@ Smokey Mountain) 4sq.com/P6P9md http://t.co/0IkLIXPzD5... 2 days ago
- Shooting early today with all the fun guys from Singapore and Malaysia 4sq.com/1gBV0Yd... 3 days ago
- I received a peer recognition @Viewbug viewbug.com/photo/17242931 #photocontest... 4 days ago
- I received a peer recognition @Viewbug viewbug.com/photo/17493491 #photocontest... 5 days ago
- I received 2 peer recognitions @Viewbug viewbug.com/photo/17242931 #photocontest... 1 week ago
- I Like a Photo @viewbug. viewbug.com/photo/17256181 #photocontest... 1 week ago
- I voted for this photo @viewbug viewbug.com/contests/beaut… #photocontest... 1 week ago
- Iloilo Featuring Emmerie Cunanan Episode 3 by Victor Cheung on 500px pinterest.com/pin/5390950178…... 1 week ago
- I just finished day 289 of Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life - a Daily Devotional Bible reading plan at Y… bible.com/r/3D.4f... 1 week ago
- The sting of death is sin; and the power of sin is the law: but thanks be to God, who giveth us the victory through… bible.com/12/1co15.56-57... 1 week ago
- Having Wi-Fi problems on your Mac running OS X Mavericks? Here's a fix! zite.to/1lUgpTu... 1 week ago
- #Dropbox announces Carousel, a cross-device photo and video gallery zite.to/1qj1jpR... 1 week ago
- Photo “Iloilo Featuring Angelie Golingay Episode 2” by Victor Cheung (@HKPhooey) #500px 500px.com/photo/66152465…... 1 week ago
- Photo “The 12 Escalators” by Victor Cheung (@HKPhooey) #500px 500px.com/photo/65905841…... 2 weeks ago
- The 12 Escalators by Victor Cheung on 500px pinterest.com/pin/5390950178…... 2 weeks ago
- 16 Things You Didn't Know Your #Android Could Do zite.to/1pOx7D0... 2 weeks ago